Digital Tools Preparation for ESSCS
To attend the summer school, you will need to bring your own computer. Some softwares are “trans-OS” (operating system), but some softwares only runs on a specific OS (e.g., Windows). In the form below, we ask you to select the OS on which your computer operates:
Mac – Mac OS – Version:
PC – Windows – Version
PC – Linux – Version
In the course of the summer school, you will be using different standalone or online applications. Yo will find below the list of items to download and install on your computer or of accounts to be opened on online applications.
The workshop will use the following software and python script and dataset will be shared later.
- Anaconda. We will only use Jupyter Notebook in Anaconda.
- Gephi : an open-source network analysis and visualization software package
Gephi needs Java to function. If you don’t have it on your computer, Gephi asks you to install it.
The main setup required would be:
1. Create a free account on ctext
2. (Optional) For participants with some basic knowledge of Python, install the ctext API module described here (i.e. run “pip install ctext”)
3. (Optional) Install a font supporting rare Chinese characters in Unicode, as described here
In order to participate fully, a Windows/Mac/Linux device with a mouse is needed, along with either Firefox or Chrome.
Machine learning for language toolkit
Chinese Text Project (471 kb)